Thanh and Nhi Thanh Grottoes
Thanh Grotto is situated in Tam Thanh Ward,
, There is a poem
by Ngo Thi Si carved on the grotto wall praising the magnificent
natural beauty of the area. More specifically the sound of the water
stream falling on hundreds of rocks, almost like a graceful
, meaning "waiting for a husband," is located nearby.
Here, one can explore a grotto with marvelous stalactites and a
statue of Buddha.
Thanh Grotto is one of the famous grottoes in Lang Son, lying west
Ky Lua Street
. Its door is approximately 8m high, opening to a corridor with 30
stone steps carved into the mountain. There are dense groves hiding
the grotto from the sun. Poet Ngo Thi Sy (1726-1780) carved one
of his texts on the grotto wall while he was a Mandarin guard in
Thanh Grotto is 600 meters deep. on the cliffs at the entrance are
20 inscriptions that are precious historical and literary documents,
including autographs of famous scholars. The statue of scholar Ngo
Thi Sy on the cliff engraved in 1779 is a precious work of art.
The grotto has numerous stalactites and stalagmites in different
shapes, above the grotto is Tam Giao Pagoda, which was built in
1779. The pagoda is dedicated to Confucian, Buddha and Laotze.
is located in Loc Binh District, about
With the wind whistling up and the cloud floating down, the sky
seems within hands reach. The panorama from the highest peak in Lang
Son region is like a Chinese ink drawing.
the north is
, to the east is Na Duong and to the west is Dong Dang, all merging
beautifully into one spectacular landscape. The winding narrow
mountain path, like a snake, lies tucked between 2 steep mountains.
seventy years ago before this path existed, there were only two
ways to the top, walking or on horseback. At that time, this
panoramic area attracted the French to Mau Son for relaxation. The
weather was cool all year round and in addition, the Dear Mountain
View of the northeast was the gateway to
, and the French built a military base there at the early of the
20th century to guard the border. The site's original inhabitants,
members of the Dao ethnic minority, were moved to make way for the
French settlement. only authorized personnel were permitted to
enter the French base.
Later, Mau Son tourists were also welcome to the hill station. In
January 1936, Dr.O.Pflot, a student of the famous bacteriologist Dr.
Alexandre Yersin, visited Mau Son. Some local people say that the
doctor first came to Mau Son to collect traditional medicinal herbs,
which were cultivated in die region. And then, he petitioned Mr
Tholace, then French governor of the North, for permission to build
tourist villas at the site. In 1936 he got the goaded to buy land
and to start the construction. There were thousands of local people
working on the project, all mining, breaking and carrying stones
to bad a number of massive villas, all in all it took seven years of
work to accomplish this task. There were no bricks available to
build with; the only materials available were stones, bled to
ruins. Blocks of orange moss-covered stories are scattered
throughout the site, lying dead amongst the old foundations, where
even now, it is possible to identify the houses former kitchens,
fireplaces and staircases.
Like sleeping beauty, after almost five decades, it was all but
forgotten. Until 1987 motorbikes were not even allowed onto the
torturous road up the mountain.
Lua market in Lang Son is the place of trading and exchanging goods between
domestic areas with national culture activities of LangSon. Ky Lua
market opens up market-days 6 times a month on 2nd, 7th, 12th,
17th, 22nd, and 27th. on these market-days, goods and produce of
almost provinces are traded and exchanged. People sometimes go to
the market not because of trading but because of visiting and
discussing business with each others. Ethnic young people go to the
market to meet friends and seek for their life partners through
exchanging love singing. At the market, people sell colourful
brocade, clothes and foods with Lang Son's traditional flavour.
Son yearly holds Ky Lua fair lasting from 22nd to 27th of lunar
January. This is a traditional culture activity. Nowadays, Ky Lua
market has restored and it opens all day and night. Going to Ky Lua
night market leaves a great impression on tourists who go to Lang
Son because of the fresh air of mountainous border area with scenery
and people there.